17.5 oz. (525 g) ladyfingers
1 lb (450 g) mascarpone cheese
4 eggs separated
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup Kahlua, coffee liqueur
2 cups strong sweet warm coffee
bitter cocoa powder
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until
eggs are foaming.
- Add coffee liqueur and mix
about 2 minutes.
- Add mascarpone cheese and fold
- In a separate bowl beat egg
whites until very stiff.
- Gently fold egg whites into the
mascarpone mixture and set aside.
- Cover the bottom of the 9-inch
rectangular serving dish with ladyfingers.
- Lightly soak ladyfingers with
- Cover ladyfingers with cream
- Place another layer of
moistened ladyfingers and repeat the operation.
- Use all ingredients to obtain
- Spread the creamy mixture on
top and sprinkle with bitter cocoa powder.
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours
TIPS: You may also prepare the tiramisu in individual
Note: Tiramisu may be prepared in
advance and frozen. It should be defrosted
in the refrigerator for at least 6 to 7 hours before serving.
|Did You Know?
|Tiramisu is one of the
most popular Italian cakes. It is made of savoiardi (otherwise known as
lady finger biscuits) dipped in espresso or strong coffee, layered with
a whipped mixture of egg yolks, mascarpone, and sugar, and topped with
The phrase tirami su literally means "pick me up" or "pull me up" in
reference to the effects of the sugar and espresso. It is also thought
to mean "pick me up to heaven" due to the delightful taste.
In the original recipe, there was no liquor as the cake was originally
aimed at children and the elderly, and the original shape was round.