2 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken
1 cup mushrooms
1/4 cup tomato
salt and pepper to
with eggs and sandwiches or with meat.
- Brown flour in butter over
- Add tomato pasta and chicken
stock gradually, stirring constantly.
- Add mushrooms, salt and pepper
and cook 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pass through sieve and add 2
tablespoons of melted butter into hot sauce before
sauce is a thick liquid which can be used to add flavour to food, to
moisten it and/or make it look more attractive on the plate.
Sauces form an important part of traditional French cuisine. These
French-style sauces are thickened with starch or roux (flour cooked in
butter) and fall into two basic categories:
- Brown sauces, which are based on demi-glace, a reduction of browned
veal and beef bones
- White sauces, based on velouté, a reduction of the meat and
bones of veal, chicken or both, or of fish.
Also important in French cuisine are the following types of sauces:
- Béchamel; family sauces, based on flour & thickened
- "Emulsified sauces", which use eggs as emulsifiers to combine
normally immiscible ingredients such as oil and vinegar
- "Butter sauces", in which butter fat is re-emulsified back to a state
resembling the original